– Identify the main governmental actors responsible for the design and implementation of sustainable tourism policies.
– Analyze the role of sustainability within existing tourism policy documents.
– Analyze tourism stakeholder perceptions about sustainable tourism management and governance
– Report the advance of policy making for sustainable tourism in consolidated European urban destinations: policy and governance frameworks.
– Perception analysis: online semi-structured survey to policy makers and tourism managers (EU destinations involved).
– Policy content analysis: policy content indicators to determine objectives, instruments, plans and role of sustainability in those areas (blue colour). Tourism planning and management is out of research scope.
The research findings are expected to advance knowledge and practice in the understanding of European urban tourism policies and to envisage future directions of policy making for sustainable tourism in cities.